New Gas Safe Register video brings home dangers of CO poisoning


To mark the eighth annual Gas Safety Week, Gas Safe Register has created a video to demonstrate how carbon monoxide can be missed from the home safety checks.

Research from Gas Safe Register has found that people are much more likely to own a smoke alarm (76 per cent) than an audible carbon monoxide alarm (47 per cent).

CO is known as the silent killer because you cannot see, tasteor smell it, and poisoning can occur if a gas appliance is unsafe. But when more than 2,000 UK adults were polled, only one in five (19 per cent) knew that you can’t tell if a gas appliance is giving off CO, while one in three (30 per cent) didn’t know, or thought you could see, taste or smell it.

Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register said: Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. Our research shows that lots of people aren’t aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning or how to know if their gas appliance isn’t working safely. This Gas Safety Week, we’re helping people find out more about how to keep their homes gas safe –and reminding everyone to not cut corners when it comes to getting their gas appliances checked.”

Gas Safe Register recommends that people get their gas appliances checked every year to make sure they are working safely and efficiently.

Related Articles