Veteran radio DJ Tony Blackburn standing in front of a gas boiler

Tony Blackburn helps grandparents tune in to gas safety

Gas Safe Register has teamed up with veteran DJ Tony Blackburn to help the nation’s grandparents and families be more gas safety-savvy at home. The grandfather of two is helping the Register as its new research finds that grandparents who help with their family’s childcare may be over-estimating how gas safe they are in their homes.

Nearly nine in ten (86%) UK grandparents provide some form of childcare for their grandchildren during the week. Most (87%) agree that they feel more obliged to ensure their homes are a safe environment, given the caring responsibilities they have for their grandchildren.

But despite nearly half (46%) claiming to be more clued-up on home safety measures than their (now) adult children, when asked to identify the key signs that indicate gas appliances in the home could be faulty or unsafe, fewer than one-fifth (16%) were able to correctly identify all the seven crucial warning signs that could save lives.

Tony says: “There’s no doubt that we grandparents play a distinct and important role in our grandchildren’s lives, increasingly indispensable when it comes to alleviating childcare costs, as well as being on hand to impart valuable pearls of wisdom – and educating them on good music!

“We’ve experienced more of life and there are great advantages to that when it comes to being ‘in the know’, but it’s never too late to learn something new, or learn more about something we think we know everything about – particularly when it comes to the safety of our homes and loved ones.

“I’m a stickler for making sure everything is working properly in my house: everything gets serviced and replaced if necessary. But I realise I am in a fortunate position to do that, so my one piece of advice is to get clued-up on what the signs and symptoms of unsafe gas appliances can be. It could not only save your life, but those of your grandchildren and loved ones. Being in the know on the gas safety basics has never been more important.”

Rob Denman, head of Professional and Field Services at Gas Safe Register, adds: “Many grandparents play a vital role in the care of their grandchildren, enabling their own children to stay in work and provide for the family.

“But many are unaware that they could be unwittingly putting their grandchildren at risk of gas-related incidents in their home, who have seemingly overestimated their confidence in being able to spot the warning signs of unsafe and faulty gas appliances in the home. What they think they know and how that plays out in their homes is very different.

“We’re urging grandparents and families more widely to get clued-up on the signs and symptoms of unsafe gas this winter and to have their gas appliances safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer. It really is better to be gas safe than sorry and it helps to protect you, your loved ones and your home.” 

Related Articles