A Middlesex gas engineer who fitted a boiler so poorly that it could have exposed a family to carbon monoxide has been given a suspended prison sentence.
Dexter Regis, trading as Shabba Gas Services Plumbing and Heating Engineer, fitted the boiler in Newbury Park London in November 2016, Isleworth Crown Court heard.
The installation had numerous faults, which came to light when the boiler malfunctioned and the family became unwell. Mr Regis was called back but the problems continued. The family then asked another gas engineer to check the boiler, who found that it was Immediately Dangerous.
The HSE investigated and found that the flue had been assembled using parts from more than one manufacturer, it had been propped up with rubble and there were leaks from the joints.
Dexter Regis from Southall, Middlesex, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 5(3), 26(1), 26(5) and 27(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was sentenced to 15 months in prison, suspended for two years. He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and tagged, with a curfew between 9pm and 6am for three months. No order was made for prosecution costs because Mr Regis had no means to pay.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Charles Linfoot said: “This case involving a badly installed gas boiler and flue could have had tragic consequences. It highlights the importance of engineers working to the correct standards and installing gas boilers in compliance with manufacturer’s recommendations, using the correct flue which is properly supported.”