Don't Cut Corners at Christmas image

Silent night not silent killer: get your gas appliances checked for Christmas

More than one-quarter of UK households could be at risk from CO poisoning this Christmas. Twenty-seven per cent of Brits admit they haven’t taken steps to protect their home and their loved ones – including getting their gas appliances safety checked.

More than a quarter (27 per cent) of the 2,000 UK adults polled said they haven’t had their boiler serviced in the past year. One-fifth (22 per cent) said a CO leak at home is the Christmas ‘present’ they’d least welcome. However, one-third (34 per cent) don’t have, or don’t know if they have, a working audible CO alarm to alert them to a leak. More than half didn’t know that breathlessness and collapsing can be symptoms of CO poisoning.

Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, says: “It’s crucial to be proactive about making your home and your loved ones safe this festive season. We recommend an annual check for your gas appliances by a Gas Safe registered engineer and, as a second precautionary measure, getting a carbon monoxide alarm”

Many of those polled correctly identified signs of unsafe gas appliances, which include: increased condensation (85 per cent), lazy yellow flames (76 per cent), dark stains around gas appliances (76 per cent) and the boiler’s pilot light blowing out (67 per cent).

Related Articles