dangerous gas work

£280,000 fine for building services firm whose dangerous gas work caused fires

A Leicester building services firm has been fined £280,000 after it fitted more than 60 Immediately Dangerous gas hobs in a Warwickshire housing development, two of which caused a fire.

Coventry Magistrates’ Court heard how EGP Building Services Ltd was contracted to carry out gas work at the Bellway Homes development at Heathcote Park, between August 2016 and May 2018.

During this time, gas hob installations were undertaken by EGP fitters who were either not Gas Safe registered or who were registered but who were not competent because they were working outside the scope of their registration

The HSE, investigating, found that installations in more than 60 properties were Immediately Dangerous and posed a serious risk of fire and explosion to their occupants. The HSE told the court that the company had failed to ensure that a system was in place to adequately and effectively plan, supervise and monitor the installation of gas hobs to ensure they were being carried out in accordance with the required standards and regulations.

Fires were reported at two occupied properties at the new housing development.

EGP Building Services Ltd of Craftsmans Way, Leicester, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The company was fined £280,000 and ordered to pay costs of £918.00.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Helen Chesworth said: “The law is clear that companies must conduct their business without putting members of the public at risk. EGP Building Services Limited exposed members of the public to the risk of serious injury or death through unsafe gas work carried out at over 60 properties and it was fortunate that no one was harmed.”

Related Articles