Technical Focus banner image

The gas engineer’s guide to RIDDOR

This guide gives a quick and clear explanation of what and how to report under RIDDOR – the law that requires registered gas engineers to provide details of any gas appliances or fittings that they consider to be dangerous.

What is RIDDOR?
The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (RIDDOR) is the law that requires employers, and other people in control of work premises, to report and keep records of:

  • Work-related accidents which cause death
  • Work-related accidents which cause certain serious injuries (reportable injuries)
  • Dangerous occurrences with the potential to cause harm. There are special requirements for gas incidents.

What must gas engineers report?
Registered gas engineers must provide details of any gas appliances or fittings that they consider to be dangerous, to such an extent that people could die, lose consciousness or require hospital treatment. The danger could be due to the design, construction, installation, modification or servicing of that appliance or fitting, which could cause: an accidental escape of gas; incomplete combustion of gas, or inadequate removal of products of the combustion of gas.

What records do I need to keep?
You must keep a record of any reportable injury, over-three-day injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. You can print and/or save a copy of the online form. A copy of the form will be automatically emailed to the address provided by you. If you do not keep a copy of the online form, your records must include the date and method of reporting; the date, time and place of the event; personal details of those involved; and a brief description of the nature of the event or disease.

Why report?
Reporting certain incidents is a legal requirement. The report informs the enforcing authorities about deaths, injuries, occupational diseases and dangerous occurrences, so they can identify where and how risks arise, and whether they need to be investigated. This allows the enforcing authorities to target their work and provide advice about how to avoid work-related deaths, injuries, ill-health and accidental loss.

How to report
All incidents can be reported online at

A telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal/specified, and major incidents only on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).


What is reportable?

What dangerous gas fittings are reportable under RIDDOR 11(2)?
‘Fittings’ are as defined in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and include pipework, regulators, meters and appliances. Where a gas fitting, or a flue or ventilation used in connection with it, could, in the opinion of a Gas Safe registered engineer, be dangerous (to the extent that it could cause death or make someone unconscious or cause them to be taken to hospital) it must be reported. In practice, this means that registered engineers should report situations classed as being Immediately Dangerous (ID) under the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure.

I found a dangerous gas fitting but it was repaired at the time. Does this still need to be reported?
Yes. Even though the defects have been repaired, you should still report the dangerous gas fitting.


What is NOT reportable?

Which incidents don’t need to be reported?
Incidents where people have taken themselves to hospital or another medical facility (eg, a walk-in-centre) are not reportable.

What dangerous gas fittings are NOT reportable under RIDDOR 11(2)?
Installations that are dangerous solely due to a lack of maintenance are NOT reportable under RIDDOR. Dangerous non-gas-safety defects are generally not reportable (examples include damaged or inappropriate electrical connections and hot water cylinders without pressure relief).

I have found a dangerous gas fitting in a rented house which was caused by a lack of maintenance. How should I report these?
These fittings are not reportable under RIDDOR. If you find dangerous gas appliances/fittings in rented accommodation caused by the lack of maintenance, send details to the HSE as a concern. The HSE will then decide whether or not to investigate further


Download PDF

Related Articles