Two unregistered installers from Lancashire have been given prison sentences after their work was found to be dangerous.
Greater Manchester Magistrates’ Court heard that Karl Welsh and James Allen fitted new gas fires in three homes from August 2015 to February 2017, despite not being Gas Safe registered.
An HSE investigation found that their work was sub-standard and, in some cases, dangerous. Gas Safe Register inspectors attended the three properties, and reported that two had installation defects that were Immediately Dangerous – one of which was spilling carbon monoxide into the room.
Karl Welsh of Skelmersdale, Lancashire, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(1), 3(3) and 5(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was given a 10-month suspended prison sentence, 150 hours of unpaid community work and ordered to pay £2,200 in costs.
James Allen of Radcliffe, Bury, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(1), 3(3) and 5(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and also received a 10 month-suspended sentence, 150 hours of unpaid community work and ordered to pay £1,000 costs.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Jennifer French said: “Karl Welsh and James Allen undertook gas work which they knew they were not registered to do. All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life. HSE will not fail to take the appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”