Four out of five people don’t think about CO poisoning as a potential danger when they’re barbecuing. More people are concerned about food poisoning (67 per cent), burns (51 per cent), child safety (49 per cent), garden fires (29 per cent) and drunken accidents (27 per cent).
In fact, CO poisoning was placed only slightly ahead of worries about damaging the garden or plants (19 per cent) when barbecuing.
As summer arrives, half the nation (52 per cent) are planning on barbecuing an average of five times for family and friends this year – and Gas Safe Register is reminding people to be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning.
The Register is sharing barbecue safety tips and urging people to keep themselves safe by knowing the symptoms:
- Never use a barbecue inside.
- Don’t take a smouldering or lit barbecue into a tent, caravan or cabin. Even if you’ve finished cooking, your barbecue can still give off fumes, so keep it outside.
- Always ensure you can see your lit barbecue and don’t leave it lit while you’re asleep
- Use your barbecue in accordance with the operating instructions.
- Be aware of the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning: headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
Gas Safe chief executive Jonathan Samuel says: “Barbecuing is one of our nation’s favourite pastimes but it can also be dangerous and cause CO poisoning if not done correctly. It’s important that lit barbecues are never brought into an enclosed space and that people are aware of CO poisoning symptoms. By knowing these symptoms, they may be able to act quickly and reduce the severity of CO poisoning.”
* Online survey carried out with 2,003 UK adults by Opinium Research, 9-12 May 2017.